Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas and Family

December 1st. Time to think about the holidays....though I must confess we've already been listening to Christmas music and put up our decorations. Today, I changed the month on our calenders. As I flipped the calendar, I saw all the wonderful photos of our families at Christmas. I couldn't help but look at them longer and my heart just ached to be able to be with family for Christmas. I have truly been blessed with two families: My immediate and my in-law's. We have so many good memories together and there is a sense of peace just being able to "be" together. My 12 neices and nephews are growing up way too fast and I feel that I am missing out. I want Esther to be able to play with her cousins, grandparents, aunties, and uncles. And this year 2 of my nephews, who were adopted from Ghana this summer, will be having their 1st Christmas with my family. As I was contemplating this and longing for my family, thinking it was unfair that I couldn't be with them, I could almost sense God saying, "and what family do these orphans have to spend the holidays with?" I was convicted...here, I have a loving family and my parents are even coming out to visit us after Christmas and these orphans have no one. Most of them have never had anyone. I remembered a conversation that Gabe recently had with a 13yr old oprhan boy. He was talking about how he had a bad day and he just wanted to leave the orphanage. He just wanted to go home. Gabe asked when he had been home last, and he replied, "4 years ago." I realized that I need to be thankful for what I do have instead of focusing on what I am missing. Even though we can't be there for Christmas, I am thankful that my 2 nephews will be able to celebrate the holidays with family, and not alone. I pray that we can love the orphans  we will be with during these holidays like family.

No comments:

Post a Comment