Saturday, February 25, 2012

Banya Bonding

  The process of making friends here has proven to be challenging so far, so when I received an invitation to the Banya (bathouse/sauna) I figured I should go.  The guys all enter in their speedos (or less) but I wear trunks.... my cultural assimilation only goes so far!  It's very hot and you stay in there as long as you can stand it.  When you are dripping sweat you then run outside to roll around in the snow.  After you repeat this process a few times, you lie face down and receive a Russian "massage", which means getting beaten with tree branches all over your body.  Then they dump ice cold water on you.  It is an invigorating experience, I'll say that much.  I had some horrific nightmares about big ugly men with hairy backs after the first time I went, but I recovered sufficiently to go again.  I would prefer my male bonding over Monday Night Football, but I guess you have to go where the locals go.  The atmosphere is definitely less formal than an office or church Bible Study, and as a result of this "Banya Bonding" I have received an invitation to preach and visit an orphanage.  It is also good language practice (I've certainly learned some new words) and fellowship, so I trust God is using it! 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! What a fun-to-read-about experience! :) amazing what GOD can use when we step out of our comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete