Friday, June 3, 2011

Don't Always Agree

The other week we received a box from Sarah's parents.  I was talking with the young man who delivered the box, and he was very curious about why we are in Ukraine.  I was able to tell him some about what we are doing, but I couldn't understand everything he was saying.  As I told him this, he nodded sympathetically and said (still in Russian), "Yeah, Russian is a debilniy language."  I didn't understand that word (debilniy), but I figured he meant it was a hard language so I agreed.  That word sounded familiar though.  Later I remembered that I had heard that word at an orphanage years before (it's slang), and it means "retarded".  So here is this guy I'm trying to witness to, and I agree with him that his native language is retarded and backwards.  Score another one for me.  I guess it's not always safe to be agreeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment